Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 2002 11:52:33 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Tiago Andre <tiagoandre@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Mounting CDRom

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 10:30:08AM +0000, Tiago Andre wrote:

> I trye the command:

> mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom -t iso9660

> and

> mount /dev/cd0c /mnt/cdrom -t iso9660

> but it doesint work. my freebsd is the 4.7 version

Make that:

    mount -t cd9660 /dev/cd0c /mnt/cdrom

 --- the mount options ( -t cd9660, etc) come before the device name
     and the mount point.

 --- the filesystem type for ISO9660 CDs is 'cd9660' -- see the
     mount_cd9660(8) man page [Saying 'mount -t cd9660' is
     equivalent to 'mount_cd9660'.  Use whichever pleases you.]

 --- make sure that the /mnt/cdrom directory exists before you run the
     mount command.  It should be empty, because you'll be unable to
     access the contents when you mount the CD over it.

Note also that /dev/cd0c is a SCSI CDRom (see cd(4)).  The correct
device for an ATAPI CDRom would be /dev/acd0c (see acd(4)).  If you're
unsure which of those devices you have, check /var/run/dmesg which
will have a record of any CDRom devices found by the kernel at the
last reboot.  There's no such entity as /dev/cdrom by default on
FreeBSD.  You may find it convenient to create a symbolic link
/dev/cdrom -> cd0c

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way