Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 2002 09:04:11 -0400 (AST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Charles Sprickman <spork@inch.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with large memory configs?

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Charles Sprickman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I seem to be seeing a pattern here as we upgrade some boxes from 1GB to
> 2GB of memory...  We get random lockups.  No panic, just a hang.  And only
> during high cpu load.  Been through the hardware (server boards are both
> Supermicro and Intel) and we're not seeing any heat problems, all the fans
> are spinning, etc.
>
> I seem to recall a few threads not too long ago where people with busy
> machines running 2GB+ of memory and high loads were seeing similar.  Wish
> I had a crashdump to share, but it's just hanging.
>
> Can anyone comment on recent vm changes from 4.6.2 -> 4.7 -> -stable?
> These boxes are all a step behind at 4.6.2.

I'm running 4.7-STABLE on 3 servers, all with 4GB of RAM, and two of them
running >1600 processes ... we recently went through alot of headaches
with one of them that turned out to be power supply related ... but, there
is at least one patch put in by Matt Dillon (post-4.7) that fixed an
issue on one of our other servers that caused it to crash pretty
consistently ...

My policy for production boxes is to generally not run anything older then
~30days on the -STABLE branch (and watch the -stable mailing list and
commit messages closely) and have been burnt once where I cvsup'd during a
3hr or so window where there was a bug in the code ...