Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 21:35:43 -0500
From:      "Martin M" <lalala@iprimus.ca>
To:        "Newbies FreeBSD" <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>, "Yong Lim" <yong@csfi.com>
Subject:   Re:

Root is using a different shell from the other users is my guess...

try "echo $SHELL" for a few different users: if this is the case,
type "chsh" at the command prompt while logged in as root
to change to the shell you prefer... probably bash... type "which bash"
to find out where bash is (likely /usr/local/bin/bash) and put that in
root's
info using vi.

you want to run "bash" from the command line prior to "chsh", so
that when you are in vi, your backsapces will work...