Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 16:35:14 -0500
From:      "Mire, John" <jmire@lsuhsc.edu>
To:        "'freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Port forwarding recommendations?

------_=_NextPart_001_01C24EDA.CBC46CC0

try www.netboz.org it's FreeBSD based and it's almost an appliance as far as
setup is concerned.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dylan Carlson [mailto:absinthe@pobox.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 6:15 AM
To: freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject: Port forwarding recommendations?

Hi,

There are volumes of mailing list messages out there on the subject of
firewalls, but the solutions for different circumstances are not clear.
Your
recommendations would be appreciated.

I have a simple low-end pentium box I want to do the following:

- Firewall  (ipfilter or ipfw, comfortable with either one)
- One external IP assigned via DHCP (from the ISP)
- One internal IP serving as a gateway address for a private class C
- NAT sharing to 4-5 hosts on the protected, internal subnet
- Inbound port forwarding

...where "port forwarding" means listening on a port on the external
interface
of the firewall and forwarding to a specified internal host for the rule.  I

have looked at [ /usr/ports/net/portfwd ] but I am not sure how well/if this

works with any of the NAT and firewall implementations.

Wondering which components you would use, why - and any caveats.  I would be

thankful for any references as well.

Provided I am successful with this I plan on writing up a procedure in
DocBook
and and kicking it over to the FreeBSD documentation project.

TIA,
--
Dylan Carlson [absinthe@pobox.com]

------_=_NextPart_001_01C24EDA.CBC46CC0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2654.45">
<TITLE>RE: Port forwarding recommendations?</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>try www.netboz.org it's FreeBSD based and it's almost an appliance as far as setup is concerned.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>-----Original Message-----</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>From: Dylan Carlson [<A HREF="mailto:absinthe@pobox.com">mailto:absinthe@pobox.com</A>]</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 6:15 AM</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>To: freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Subject: Port forwarding recommendations?</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Hi,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>There are volumes of mailing list messages out there on the subject of </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>firewalls, but the solutions for different circumstances are not clear.&nbsp; Your </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>recommendations would be appreciated.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>I have a simple low-end pentium box I want to do the following:</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>- Firewall&nbsp; (ipfilter or ipfw, comfortable with either one)</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>- One external IP assigned via DHCP (from the ISP)</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>- One internal IP serving as a gateway address for a private class C</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>- NAT sharing to 4-5 hosts on the protected, internal subnet</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>- Inbound port forwarding </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>...where &quot;port forwarding&quot; means listening on a port on the external interface </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>of the firewall and forwarding to a specified internal host for the rule.&nbsp; I </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>have looked at [ /usr/ports/net/portfwd ] but I am not sure how well/if this </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>works with any of the NAT and firewall implementations. </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Wondering which components you would use, why - and any caveats.&nbsp; I would be </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>thankful for any references as well.&nbsp; </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Provided I am successful with this I plan on writing up a procedure in DocBook </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>and and kicking it over to the FreeBSD documentation project.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>TIA,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>-- </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Dylan Carlson [absinthe@pobox.com]</FONT>
</P>

<BR><FONT SIZE=2>with &quot;unsubscribe freebsd-isp&quot; in the body of the message</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C24EDA.CBC46CC0--