Date:      Wed, 13 Aug 1997 22:35:17 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Jay D. Nelson" <jdn@qiv.com>
To:        Shawn Ramsey <shawn@luke.cpl.net>
Cc:        Paul Dekkers <psd@worldaccess.nl>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD is slower than Linux !?

You're quite right -- but that's dangerous on a production system no
matter what the OS. I should have kept my fingers quite. You see, I
look at FreeBSD as a _production_ system. And frankly, I've found that
it does as good a job and in some areas better that commercial Unices
like AIX, Solaris and AT&TSVR4. In fact I use it in just such an
environment.

My experience with Linux is that it poops out under load -- and some
of the distributions aren't much better than NT. Blame the pud
whackers who put together the distributions -- not the kernel.

My point was simply that when you put both under a real life multiuser
load, the differences are fairly obvious. And frankly, I wouldn't use
async mounts for anything other than news.

-- Jay

On Wed, 13 Aug 1997, Shawn Ramsey wrote:

>> Hmm... It might be revealing if you tried all of that with a couple of
>> compiles and a tar of /usr running simultaneously. Final combined
>> times may be more revealing.
>>
>> -- Jay
>>
>> On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, Paul Dekkers wrote:
>>
>> >Hi
>> >
>> >I did some speed tests and I'd like to hear some reaction about this.
>> >
>> >	Linux	FreeBSD
>> >dd	2.61	4.95	dd if=/dev/zero of=/test bs=1024 count=5000
>> >gzip	12.50	11.01	gzip -9 test
>> >gunzip	3.86	8.12
>> >sync	4.21	0.9	-> So it seems FreeBSD writes everything to
>> >			   disk directly?! WHY? This makes FreeBSD
>> >			   much slower!
>> >unzips	4.45	41.92	decompress the sendmail distr
>> >compil	353.79	371.87	compile sendmail (makesendmail)
>> >
>> >Yes, I used the same (slow) disk on my i486
>> >But I was really surprised discovering that FreeBSD is much slower in disk
>> >access than Linux, so why is the filesystem called FFS (fast-filesystem?!)
>> >;-)
>> >
>> >But, my main question -> I think FreeBSD is that slow because it writes
>> >everything to disk directly, without a good cache. Why is this like it is?
>> >This does not make FreeBSD very attractive for me to use as a fileserver
>> >(nfs or samba) or e.g. a mail server.
>
>Do be fair, I think you should mount the FreeBSd disks asyncronously. By
>default, it is set to Synchronously. Linux, at least it used to be this
>way, is mounted asynch. Disk access is HUGELY increases under FreeBSD if
>it is set to asynch. (mount -o async /dev/filesystem)

-- Jay