Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 1996 17:00:41 -0400
From:      Dave Blizzard <blizzard@canoe.ca>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Panic cannot mount root

Thanks for reading this message, you must get hundreds but... my BSD
has broken once again and I need some help to resurrect the file
system. Some background:
FreeBSD v2, 486 PC 33 mhz, Adaptec 1520/1522 SCSI Adapter, Quantum
1080s 1042mb drive as drive 1 (drive 0 is an IDE drive exclusively
Dos). I boot from a floppy and then boot the SCSI drive.

OK. For the third time now my system panics on boot and can't mount
root. Using the fixit floppy, I have run "fsck -p /dev/rsd0" and the
filesystem checks out with no errors. I have also run fsck with the -f
option and no difference is seen. The partition information seems ok
if I look at using the install procedure. I then reboot using the
recommended "reboot -n".
After the fsck, I can "mount /dev/sd0 /" but the contents seem to be
only the floppy.
Where am I going wrong? I suspect one of my kids may have started the
system accidentally from a floppy and then halted the system but I
can't see how that should destroy the SCSI drive.
My only recourse the first two times was to start from scratch but
after 3 weeks of successful install ... (I even got PPP and sendmail
to work).

>From Tearing my hair out in Toronto

Dave Blizzard
blizzard@canoe.ca