Date:      Mon, 15 May 2000 22:17:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
To:        chad@DCFinc.com
Cc:        dgilbert@velocet.ca (David Gilbert), andrsn@ANDRSN.STANFORD.EDU, freebsd-emulators@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rpm and WordPerfect Office 2000

Chad> As I recall, David Gilbert wrote:
>> I must say that I'm dissapointed that I can't run it.

Chad> This is older hat, but I've had WordPerfect 8 running on a
Chad> 2.2.8-STABLE system under Linux emulation since Dec, 1998.

Chad> Has anyone tried to evaluate pros and cons of the various office
Chad> suites?

Chad> 1) Applixware - native

Applixware is a good but somewhat immature product.  I have run it
both under linux emulation and under native code.  While it's a good
basic package, it tends to fall down if your needs are complex.

The programability is cool.  I could see getting into it if the
spreadsheet was a little more featureful (or maybe we just havn't
found the features yet).  I must say that Applixware is the best
behaved X application of its type, if that's anything to go on.

Chad> 2) StarOffice - linux

I must admit that I should take another look at this.  My earlier
impression was that it was kludgy.  I don't know if it has improved.

Chad> 3) WordPerfect - linux

I still use WordPerfect 8.  There is no "office" to it, but
WordPerfect 8 for linux runs well and is a featureful product.

Now... I havn't even been able to get Corel Office 2000 running on
Debian yet, so I'm not impressed.

Chad> 4) anything - Wine

It's impressive that Excel almost runs.  I havn't really tried Word
since WordPerfect fills my current needs.

Chad> 5) ???

Someone mentioned koffice?  What's the spreadsheed engine?  Last I
tried gnumeric, I was nonplussed.

Dave.