Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 2002 14:28:39 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make buildworld fails

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 06:47:30AM -0600, Chris Pressey wrote:

> I do indeed have /usr/src/include/glob.h, and it is 4480 bytes and it
> defines the macros in question.  However, the copy in /usr/include is only
> 4055 bytes and is older (Aug 21 2001) and it does NOT define the macros in
> question.  This is likely the problem - if /usr/include/glob.h is being
> used in the build instead of /usr/src/include/glob.h - but also, that
> sounds wrong - to build the world, shouldn't it be using the latest and
> greatest header files, i.e., /usr/src/include ?  If not, would it be safe
> to just copy the newer glob.h into /usr/include (or explicitly add
> /usr/src/include to the start of my C_INCLUDE_PATH, at least for building
> the world?)

Yes.  I would expect that building in /usr/src would use the headers
from /usr/src/include.  You could try installing the latest headers
into /usr/include before starting your build, but that's a hack and
not guarranteed to work.

I think what has happened is that one or more of the Makefiles in the
src tree hasn't been updated properly, possibly because cvsup(1)
doesn't think it owns the file.  Try doing what the cvsup FAQ says,
and running an update with the 'list=cvs:RELENG_4' added to the supfile.

With any luck you should see updates to files matching '*.mk' and
'Makefile*', and then the build will succeed.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
                                                      Marlow