Date:      Fri, 18 Feb 2005 20:37:36 +0100
From:      Dejan Lesjak <dejan.lesjak@ijs.si>
To:        "mato" <gamato@pobox.sk>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xaw3d - missing library / incorrect plist ?

On Friday 18 of February 2005 20:24, mato wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 20:04:04 +0100, Dejan Lesjak wrote
>
> > mato wrote:
> > > hello,
> > >
> > > Xaw3d installed from ports does not install library version 8 as it
> > > claims.
> > >
> > > i've tried to update Xaw3d from 1.5. to 1.5_1 and i've obtained a
> > > warning regarding possible plist inconsistency. the thing is that it
> > > installed only *.so.7 not *.so.8 as it claims.
> > >
> > > /the original intention was to upgrade emacs which tried try upgrade
> > > Xaw3d and that failed. subsequently i've tried to deinstall both of
> > > them and install them again but unsuccessfully./
> > >
> > > if there isn't really any problem, could you pls point me in right
> > > direction?
> > >
> > > cheers,
> > >
> > > martin
> > >
> > > ps: my system is freebsd 5.3R-p5 with Xorg 6.7.0
> >
> > Please upgrade X.Org to 6.8.1. Xaw3d will take the highest version
> > number of libXaw, which is 8 with X.Org 6.8.1 (and 7 with X.Org 6.7).
> >
> > Dejan
>
> yeah, that may work. thanks!
>
> but what if i want to keep Xorg 6.7? should i just try to force Xaw3d to
> install regardless?
>
> martin

Hm, well, in general you should upgrade dependencies before installing stuff
that depends on them, since that should make sure that things install and
work properly... But in this case and if you really really want to, erm, you
could try doing something like a
'make XAWVER=7 install'
which should generate the correct packaging list.

Dejan