Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 1995 10:18:37 -0800
From:      Paul Traina <pst@shockwave.com>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        wollman@freefall.cdrom.com, current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: /etc/rc named change

  From: Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
  Subject: /etc/rc named change
  <<On Sun, 19 Mar 1995 17:15:03 -0800, Paul Traina <pst@freefall.cdrom.com> sa
>>id:

  > I think that the change in boot file location for named is gratuitous.
  > The world expects named to look for /etc/named.boot and when you changed
  > it, you screwed everyone who runs a nameserver with their boot file as
  > /etc/named.boot.

  But you were smart enough to check the diffs before blindly installing
  the new /etc/rc, right?

Actually, I did,  but didn't think much of it at the time.

  My OSF/1 machines all look for named.boot in /etc/namedb.

You're going to hold OSF/1 up as the named poster child? :-)

  > I think a better choice would be to leave the distribution crud in /etc/nam
  > as it currently is

  The stuff from the distribution is almost the correct information to
  use for 99% of all Internet-connected installations (localhost.rev
  should be automatically edited on installation, like on OSF/1).

Did I just hear someone volenteer?

  > but have the make distribution script create a symlink
  > between /etc/named.boot and /etc/namedb/named.boot if no /etc/named.boot
  > file is present.

  Or you can just edit /etc/rc.

That would be wrong.

  I'm actually contemplating adding /etc/netstart functionality to
  specify all the flags, and if I did so, would move the directory name
  there.

That would be fine, again however I would suggest you consider strongly
what your default is going to be.  I seem to be spending a lot of time
shouting into the wind that the principle of least astonishment is something
we should be striving for.

This week I'm batting 0.