Date:      Tue, 6 Oct 1998 10:03:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      zenin@archive.rhps.org (Zenin)
To:        randy@hackerz.org (Charles Quarri)
Cc:        oddbjorn@oddbjorn.bdc.no, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on ThinkPad 600

Charles Quarri <randy@hackerz.org> wrote:
> Quoting Oddbjorn Steffensen (oddbjorn@oddbjorn.bdc.no):
> > I'm considering buying a ThinkPad 600 to run FreeBSD on, and search
> > freebsd-mobile for experiences with the machine.

	I've had mine for a few months now.  Quite simply I love it!

	>snip<
> I can't get a few things to work, such as the WaveModem (I have seen a lot
> of "this is completely hopeless" messages on this topic),

	Yep.  I didn't even bother trying as I knew it wasn't going to
	work. -Besides, I wanted a cel modem anyway. :-)

> and the built-in
> sound card (I have to be able to play my mp3 and get sound in enlightenment).
> I still only have PAO-2.2.6 installed on it, so that may be some of my
> problem.

	I haven't installed PAO yet, but I got the sound to work easily.

	According to IBM's web site, it's a Sound Blaster card/chipset, so
	I just configured sb0 and sbxvi0.  I'm not sure which one it works
	on, but it works so I don't particularly care. :-)  I've also
	configured sbmidi0, but I haven't tried it yet.

> A last note, the laptop does use the NeoMagic chip set.  I ended up spending
> the money for AccerleratedX (I have used it before, and it is fairly nice),
> but this going to change with the next release of Xfree86.

	Ditto.  Actually, I'm quite pleased with AcceleratedX.  When I got
	the copy for my TP600, they gave me a %50 discount on a copy for
	my desktop.  It is noticeably faster then XFree86 (ATI Mach64).

--
-Zenin (zenin@archive.rhps.org)           From The Blue Camel we learn:
BSD:  A psychoactive drug, popular in the 80s, probably developed at UC