Date:      Tue, 2 Oct 2001 09:32:15 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
To:        "Nathan Mace" <nmace85@yahoo.com>, "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: favorite ports?

Nathan,

as said by others, this question is rather vague.  It depends on what you
need...

Anyway, some that I tend to install on most boxes I configure (I've probably
done about 30 now):

Apache+SSL        for web servers.
mod-perl          for web-servers.
php4              if you prefer PHP to Perl.
PostgreSQL        if you need a relational DB.
bash              'cos I like it.
mreport           usage reports for mail servers.
majordomo         if you need to manage mailing lists.

When I build firewalls I add NOTHING (except bash)!  FreeBSD with ipfw does
the job beautifully.

I must admit with embarrassment that I have yet to get CVSup running.  It's
about time I do something about that!

Others you might look for under ports (like ssh, sendmail, popper,
named(BIND), ntp) are part of the standard FreeBSD installation.  I have
never had reason to use anything other than BSD's own for these.

Patrick.