Date:      Sun, 7 Nov 1999 13:12:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        a.genkin@utoronto.ca (Arcady Genkin)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Logging inetd and all connections/failures

Arcady Genkin wrote,
> "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com> writes:
>
> > You did reboot if you only made changes to rc.conf.local, right? If
> > you do,
>
> Of course. ;^)
>
> > % ps aux | grep inetd
>
> Oh, inetd is running.
> root       234  0.0  1.3   892  392  ??  Is    2:00PM   0:00.11 inetd -lwW
>
> > What do you get? It should have the flags that you indicated.
> >
> > > Neither are pings and alike. syslogd and inetd are running.
> >
> > I believe inetd will only log connection attempts for ports on which it
> > is listening. Since it is only listening for TCP and UDP connections,
> > ICMP, like ping, will never be seen by inetd.
>
> Yes, but I thought the "log_in_vain" was going to give me that.

Hmmm... I see two sysctl knobs for that,

net.inet.tcp.log_in_vain
net.inet.udp.log_in_vain

So I am not sure if ICMP might fall through the cracks there. Anyway,
those are not getting logged for the same reason. A quick look at
/usr/src/sys/netinet/tcp_input.c shows that it is being logged at the
'info' level.