Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 2010 10:42:35 -0600
From:      Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>, frank cheong <kwcheong@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, Mike Hill <mike.hill@kitesystems.com>, Sean Bruno <seanbru@yahoo-inc.com>, Folkert Saathoff <folkert.saathoff@kitesystems.com>
Subject:   Re: /dev/ch0 not recognized

On Jul 17, 2010, at 7:11 PM, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
> On 7/8/2010 8:00 AM, Scott Long wrote:
>=20
>=20
>> With that note aside, you have to understand how this system works.  =
It
>> doesn't follow the traditional rules of SCSI when it comes to device
>> discovery; instead the CISS firmware controls what devices are =
allowed to
>> be seen by the OS.
>=20
> My hunch on this is that these changers show up as non-zero luns on =
the
> tape device.  Since the ciss driver tells CAM that the max-lun is 0,
> the changer device will never be probed.  Even if this were changed,
> someone with more knowledge of the ciss_device_address format (i.e.
> how to pass through lun information to a physical pass-through device)
> would need to step forward so we could support this.
>=20

Yeah, that's what I get for keeping track of too many raid drivers in my =
head without looking closely at the code from time to time.  The trick =
with CISS is that it advertises extended LUNs, which CAM really doesn't =
understand.  There are two problems.  The first is that LUN addressing =
in CAM is restricted to a u_int, which cannot reliably hold the extended =
LUN space on all platforms.  The second is that, until recently, it was =
not feasible to search the extended LUN space (or even the traditional =
LUN space).  Matt Jacob's REPORT_LUNS work might help with this, =
assuming that the CISS controller will respond to such commands.  That's =
worth looking into.  But even if it does, the limited definition of a =
LUN in CAM is going to be problematic; it can be hacked to just ignore =
the problem, but it would be nice to fix it correctly.

Scott