Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 1995 09:49:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mark Hittinger <bugs@ns1.win.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Mail... (fwd)

> Pardon my ignorance, but doesn't FreeBSD have a limit of 256 psuedo-ttys?
> (Then again, this might have changed in 2.x.) That could be hard limit on
> interactive sessions...

Each FreeBSD machine might have such a limit.  The idea here would be to
build a "cluster" design to handle your growth by adding machines.  Do
you really want more than 256 people on one box simultaneously?

Using a terminal server front end will allow you to switch users based
on incoming protocol type, load, or software version.   (you also don't
have to futz with serial drivers or burden your box with serial interrupts).

I use Xylogics Annex-3's for our incoming dialups.  Based on the account
name I can switch the user to an older sysv uucp box, one of two newer
FreeBSD boxes, an NT box, or PPP directly to our Cisco/T1.

One philosophy of design that you definetly do not want to use is the
"one giant box does it all" plan.  This is an old mainframe plan and
every plan has a flaw!  In the 80's the centralized versus distributed
debate was fought and the centralized guys lost.

Regards,

Mark Hittinger
bugs@win.net