Date:      Fri, 09 Jul 1999 16:02:34 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        dwilde1@thuntek.net
Cc:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Benchmarking web apps on Apache

Donald Wilde wrote:

> I wasn't concerned with his methodology, Bill, although I noticed the
> three points you make in a cursory glance. I would suspect it's #1
> that's the reason FBSD works better. My only reason for the cross-post
> is that FreeBSD came out better. If we recall the vanished gartner group
> report, they came out with a more than 15% improvement for FreeBSD.

It came better for static pages, lost in dynamic ones. Anyway, that
benchmark ain't worth the bandwidth spent downloading the results.
At the very least, we don't know how Apache was compiled in each
one. It might be just a matter of compiler optimization... We also
don't see how each machine was set up/tuned, so you can just imagine
what difference would a standard FreeBSD vs a standard Linux mount
for the filesystem would do to performance... Really, a friend of
mine, with whom I have friendly flame wars on Linux vs BSD, sent
that to me, and I just had to blast the hell out of him for wasting
my time with it.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	Given infinite time, 100 monkeys could type out the complete works
of Shakespeare.
	Win 98 source code? Eight monkeys, five minutes.