Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 2002 10:20:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      Marco Radzinschi <marco@radzinschi.com>
To:        Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Which BSD

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Paul Mather wrote:

> Marco Radzinschi <marco@radzinschi.com> wrote:
>
> => Since you require SMP support, FreeBSD in your case.  Neither OpenBSD nor
> => NetBSD support SMP yet.
>
> This is absolutely not true.  I run NetBSD/alpha on my olde DEC
> 3000/300 at home, and I know that SMP is supported on the alpha port
> by NetBSD.  (In fact, there was a recent question on port-alpha about
> how many CPUs it supported [IIRC, it's 64, in theory].)
>
> Given NetBSD's philosophy, I would be very surprised if SMP were
> limited only to the alpha port.
>
> Although I prefer NetBSD, I chose to run FreeBSD on my desktop at work
> out of pragmatism, simply because it has a larger ports collection,
> particularly of things I want to or might need to use.  (I also wanted
> to get some FreeBSD experience.)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Paul.
>
> e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu
>
> "Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production
>  deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."
>         --- Frank Vincent Zappa

Paul:

	I was under the impression that SMP support had not yet
stabilized, and was only available in -current.  As far as I know,
NetBSD-i386 does not yet have stable SMP support.

Has SMP support been imported into the alpha release, or are you running
NetBSD-current?

Thanks for the info.

Marco Radzinschi

E-Mail: marco@radzinschi.com