Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 1997 10:52:34 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, phk@critter.dk.tfs.com, Nicolas.Souchu@prism.uvsq.fr, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Parallel port developpements - ppbus

Greg Lehey stands accused of saying:

> >> Come on guys...  PLIP is so simple as it can be...  I don't have the time
> >> at this point to go back and kick PLIP again...
> >
> > If it's really that simple; where can I find some documentation on
> > it?
>
> Would you believe lp(4)?  It's one of the best interface man pages in
> the section.

Eep, frightening.

> > Is it likely to work on a port that's open to shared use?
>
> Of course!  In fact, you can print and transfer data at the same time :-)

Really?  From lp(4) :

     Initially, the lpt device is active for printing and the network inter-
     face is inactive; however, once the corresponding lp device has been con-
     figured 'up' with ifconfig(8) printing is disabled until the network in-
     terface is configured 'down'.

That's OK though; in this case I merely needed to know whether the if_lp
driver should obtain an exclusive lock on the port hardware.  It'll let you
tie yourself in some interesting knots, of course 8)