Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 1996 11:03:47 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        100120.3121@CompuServe.COM (Berend de Boer)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Defining a partition

Berend de Boer writes:

> My harddisk is configured as follows:
>
>   0: dos (20MB)
>   1: FreeBSD (500MB)
>   2: unused
>   3: unused
>
> The harddisk is about 800MB. How can I turn partion 2 into the last 300MB?

Use fdisk.

> Do I really need to use the fdisk program?

No, you can write your own program to manipulate the partition table
if you want.  But you'll find fdisk easier, since that's what it's
intended to do.

> It's a bit hard to use because I don't
> know how to calculate the correct sector start and sectors size.

I think I'd address that problem first if I were in your place.  Take
a look at ftp://freefall.freebsd.org/incoming/disks.ps.gz to find out
how to perform the calculations.

Greg