Date:      Sun, 6 May 2001 20:17:57 -0400
From:      parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
To:        David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
Cc:        f-mobile <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Battery recall affecting some Dell Inspiron 5000-series laptops

so, David Wolfskill shared this in my lifetime...
> >Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 19:50:11 -0400
> >From: parv <parv_@yahoo.com>

> >> Great!  Was that because of the BIOS update?  If so, how does the BIOS
> >> identify itself when you boot?
>
> >yes, it was the BIOS update alright; have been waiting for it since i
> >bought the computer in jan 2001. before/without this update, kernel
> >used to panic after boot and/or while loading itself whenever apm(d)
> >was enabled.
>
> OK; the pre-update symptom ypu describe is what happened to me before
> the BIOS update I did, as well.

there are new problems w/ suspending; still figuring out the "full
potential of apm" like closing lid, Fn keys, etc.; may need to
visit the list(s) archives...

> >following should be able to satisfy your curiosity:
>
> >apm: found APM BIOS v1.2, connected at v1.2
>
> Actually, no.  That merely identifies the "level" of "APM support" the
> BIOS provides.  I was interested in the string displayed at power-on:
>
> >> (The one I use identifies itself as:
> >> N38W2 BIOS Revision 1.06L.T01  (for Linux Test)

didn't see anything like that even when "quite boot" was disabled;
may or may not see while booting windows me w/o the "ms windows"
graphic ... who knows?  btw, is there any thing like dmesg which would
keep boot message(s) between reboots?

> >that's interesting ... not only due to the id above,  but also
> >the file (to create bios flash disk) is named A06_I5ke.exe ...
> >(if that means anything)
>
> Well, the "I5ke" undoubtedly refers to "Inspiron 5000e".  And I just
> checked; it appears that the actual BIOS file on the floppy image I used
> is named "38w2106a.rom".  (My machine is a Compal N38W2; during the BIOS
> update, the message was emitted -- apparently from the "autoexec.bat"
> file:
>
> FOR USE ONLY WITH INSPIRON 5000e AND COMPAL 38W2 SYSTEMS
>
> which is also somewhat suggestive.)

the rom file created on bios floppy had name of 31w2a06a.rom;
now working w/ your comments, would this file be for compal 31w2
system?

- parv