Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2018 18:50:07 -0700
From:      bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't set root password on ALPHA9 for RPI3

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 06:08:44PM -0700, bob prohaska wrote:
> In setting up ALPHA9 on an RPI3 an error comes up in trying to
> set a password using single-user mode on the serial console.
>
> Initially the machine came up  multi-user, whence I realized
> I'd forgotten to set a root password. I pulled the plug and
> booted to single user successfully. However, when I typed
>
> # passwd
> Changing local password for root
> New Password:
> Retype New Password:
> passwd: pam_chauthtok(): Error in service module

Eventually I re-learned  the default root password is root,
and in multi-user mode that worked to log in and set a secure
root password. However, rebooting (gracefully, this time) to
single-user, the error persists, both for root and a normal
user.

As an aside, with a Dell keyboard-hub and Dell mouse the
Timeout poll on interrupt endpoint
Timeout poll on interrupt endpoint
flood is still present. It goes away once the kernel starts
but still seems to prevent hands-off booting.

So far no other problems. The system no longer hangs
when a 1920 x 1200 monitor is connected.

Thanks for reading!

bob prohaska