Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2000 10:44:17 +0000
From:      Anatoly Vorobey <mellon@pobox.com>
To:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why not gzip iso images?

On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 12:11:48PM -0800, Darryl Okahata wrote:
>      While you are right about the download/gunzip times, compression
> doesn't help that much.  As has been mentioned in -hackers, the ISO
> images only compress by 3% or so, or around ~20MB.  So, instead of a
> 640MB ISO image, you have a 620MB image.  Is the 20MB significant?
> (I don't know.)

No, it isn't. I missed the -hackers discussion, sorry. 20Mb isn't worth
the trouble, I was hoping it would be in the ballpark of 100-150 *sigh*.

Someone else mentioned gzipping it just for error-checking; that doesn't
seem to make much sense, as there're MD5 checksums available.

--
Anatoly Vorobey,
mellon@pobox.com http://pobox.com/~mellon/