Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 13:42:13 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Dennis Muzza <dennis@freebsd.dextracode.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Squid Proxy Server

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Dennis Muzza wrote:

> Has anyone tried the Squid Proxy Server?  I got the latest version from
> ports (1.2b19) and when doing the make I get compiler errors in several
> files.  There are no patches for these.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Do not use Squid version 1.2+ at this point in time, unless you feel like
fixing the problems you will encounter not just with building it, but
running it.  Squid 1.1.21 is the latest "stable" version of squid,
available in the ports collection under ports/www/squid11.  I have been
running it on a FreeBSD 2.2.5 486DX-66 box for the last 50 days or so (39
day uptime at the moment), with about 70 busy clients (a school media
lab).  Squid's cpu usage hangs at around 10% or so during the day, with
the system load at about 0.05.  I currently only have a 200MB cache due to
disk space limitations, but I would like to increase it to several GB in
the future.

So yes, I've used Squid, and it works VERY well from what I have seen so
far.  I would highly recommend it.  If you are using Navigator and MSIE
clients, you can set up a proxy-autoconfig java script (compatible with
both clients, from what I understand, though I only use it with
Navigator.) which will allow you to quickly configure the clients, as well
as exercise quite a bit of control over when the client asks the cache for
data or wether it should go out and fetch the data directly.  Let me know
if you would like to see the proxy autoconfig script I use.  The same
information is available in Squid's documentation (http://squid.nlanr.net)
as well as Netscape's web site.

-- Chris Dillon
--- cdillon@inter-linc.net