Date:      16 Sep 2000 19:01:47 +0200
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Onstream ADR support?

Warner Losh <imp@village.org> wrote:

>: Can I use a the ADR50 with 4.1-stable?
>
> Yes and No.  OnStream has a whacked out tape blocking scheme that is
> best described with a sneer: "WinTape".  [...]

This applies to the "SC" model series.  Since CeBIT or thereabouts
there has also been an "ADR" model series.  Yes, the naming is a
recipe for confusion since all of OnStream's tape drive use the
ADR tape technology.  Anyway, OnStream claims that the "ADR" models
(ADR50 internel or external) are true SCSI tape drives that use
the standardized command set and are supported by various unices
out of the box without any need for special driver support.  So an
ADR50 *should* work under FreeBSD, too.