Date:      Mon, 01 May 2000 15:31:26 -0400
From:      nm <nm@vt.edu>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: more disk trouble

At 12:14 PM 5/1/00 -0700, Mike Smith wrote:
<snip>

>> bash-2.03# disklabel /dev/rda1c
>> disklabel: ioctl DIOCGDINFO: Invalid argument
<snip>
>> What am I doing wrong?
>
>You don't apply disklabel to a partition, you apply it to a device or
>slice.  Use the canonical name to avoid embarrassment, eg:

right.

>disklabel -e da1

Doesn't disklabel translates da1 to /dev/rda1c?  The man page seems
to indiate that it does:

   Disk device name

     All disklabel forms require a disk device name, which should always be
     the raw "complete" (or "c") partition, for example /dev/rda0c. disklabel
     understands the abbreviation da0, which it converts internally to
     /dev/rda0c.

>In your case, there is already a label on the disk, and disklabel is very
>protective of existing labels (for good reason).  You need to cheat and
>zero it out first:
>
>dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da1 count=16

I was looking for an option to do this from disklabel but I didn't
see one.  Wouldn't this be a nice feature to have on FreeBSD?

Well I tried this and I get the same results as before :(

Nick Maniscalco

BTW:  Thanks for the speedy reply!