Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2001 10:35:31 +0100 (CET)
From:      Leif Neland <leifn@neland.dk>
To:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   OT: What if registrar folds?

If I've registrered a .com-domain at a registrar, but my own nameservers
hold the domain, what happens if the registrar goes bankrupt?

The domain is still registrered in my name, and the GTLD-servers will
continue to point to my nameservers unless somebody actively removes it, i
guess.

It might be an inconvenience if I need to change whois-information, but
nobody can "steal" my domain, right?

As somebody else mentioned, I'm pretty sure some other registrar will buy
the portfolio of customers quickly.

So is there _really_ a reason to stick with overpriced NSI/Verisign?

Leif