Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 1996 11:25:43 -0700
From:      Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.1.5-RELEASE sysinstall via ftp over ppp fails

(Apologies if this is old hat.  I poked around the archives, and saw
nothing similar.)

I ran into what looks like a sysinstall bug last night, while trying
to install 2.1.5 on a home machine via PPP from an archive I keep at
the office.  The PPP link came up fine, but the ftp connection was
not established, and it appears that it was trying to establish
an ftp connection to ".52.18" -- no wonder it didn't work!  That
string appears nowhere in the URL I specified; rather, it is the
tail of the default gateway address I filled in in sysinstall's menu.

Doing a 2.1.0 install in the same manner, on the same hardware,
worked fine.  (Yes, I used a 2.1.0 boot floppy for the 2.1.0 install,
and a 2.1.5 floppy for the 2.1.5 install.)  And loading 2.1.5 from
ftp.freebsd.org (selected from the sysinstall menu), instead of filling
in my own URL, worked fine; so I've worked around this problem.

I'll take a look at the sysinstall sources when I get a chance.
On the other hand, since this is now low priority for me, the
words of Ogden Nash come to mind:

		A child need not be very clever
		To know that "Later, dear" means "Never."

Jim Shankland
Flying Fox Computer Systems, Inc.