Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2000 20:49:59 -0400
From:      David Jackson <d_jackson@ureach.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cable modem and DHCP with Rogers@Home

I'm a newbie to FreeDSD and UNIX after recently getting Verion
4.0 from Walnut Creek.

Problem 1:

I can get the OS up ok but have been going nuts trying to
connect to Rogers@Home here in North Vancouver, Canada. Rogers
does not provide static IPs, only DHCP dynamic IPs.

My system is a new pentium III 650 MHZ computer with no
apparent hardware conflicts. I'm not at all sure I configured
the card correctly though. Most explanations seem to expect a
dial-up connection.I can ping one of Rogers' name servers
through my current set-up with 100% return. However, they run 4
name-servers. Three of them return a "Host not running" ( or
similar) message.

Should I be using PPPoE? Which configuration files should I be
tweaking?

Problem 2

After successfully installing FreeBSD from CDROM I am able to
mount the CDROM in order to install other packages but then am
foiled because my computer doesn't recognize the CD as FreeBSD.

Can you help me out?:)

Much appreciated!

Dave J