Date:      Tue, 9 Nov 1999 18:43:05 +0300
From:      Vladimir Dubrovin <vlad@sandy.ru>
To:        Mike Pritchard <mpp@mppsystems.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re[2]: Port 137 hitting my server

Hello Mike Pritchard,

09.11.99 15:03, you wrote: Port 137 hitting my server;

M> On Mon, Nov 08, 1999 at 03:57:01PM -0800, Lawrence Sica wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I keep getting hits to port 137 on my server.  I know this is a netbios
>> thing, and am not running samba.  The server in question is a webserver.  I
>> was wondering any legitimate cause for this?

M> I've noticed a lot of these types of hits after playing around
M> with alladvantage.com (get paid to surf the web!).  I have no idea
M> what they are looking for.  At least from that particular web site,
M> I haven't seen any real pattern to it, except that I see more of them
M> after making use of their software.

M> -Mike

UDP  137  is a port for NetBIOS name resolution. Microsoft realization
for IP->name resolution includes both DNS and netbios resolution. Every
time  you  connect to hosts running MS products (for example IIS)
which  resolves  your  IP - host tries to resolve your NetBIOS name by
sending UDP packet to your 137 port. Noone hacks you it's ok ;)

You're  wrong  if you think only MS products do things like that. E.g.
sendmail  tries  to  check  your  name  via  authorization  (TCP  113)
protocol.

With best regards,
 Vladimir
 MCSE, MCP+I