Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 2003 21:39:22 -0500
From:      "Bob Perry" <rperry4@earthlink.net>
To:        "Bob Perry" <rperry4@earthlink.net>, "taxman" <taxman@acd.net>, "Josh Paetzel" <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dmesg Analysis

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Perry" <rperry4@earthlink.net>
To: "taxman" <taxman@acd.net>; "Josh Paetzel" <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>
Cc: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Monday, March 24, 2003 11:31 PM

SCSI-2
> > > device
> > >         sa0: 10,000 MB/s transfers (10,000 MHz, offset 15)
> > >
> > > Also ran dmesg | grep adv0 for the controller:
> > >         adv0: AdvanSys Ultra SCSI Host Adapter SCSI ID 7, queue depth
> 240
> > >         adv0: <AdvanSys ASC3030/50 SCSI controller> port 0xb400-0xb4ff
> mem
> > > 0x5000000-0xd50000ff irq 11 at device 12.0 on pci0
> > >
> > > My  kernel SCSI controller data reads:
> > >         adv0        at isa?
> > > My kernel SCSI peripheral data reads:
> > >         sa            Sequential Access (tape, etc)
> > >
> > > The best I can pull from this is that FreeBSD finds the tape and
> controller
> > > when it boots.
> >
> > Yep, that's exactly it.  So since it sees it, I don't have any idea what
> would
> > cause the problem in it not working.  As I mentioned, you'll have to
> include
> > the error.
> > Since it's not likely a problem in how FreeBSD sees the device, the
links
> on
> > how to read dmesg will not help you that much, but hopefully will be
> > instructive anyway.
> >
> > Tim

Due to the timing of the whole event, I never gave the hardware a thorough
check.  I checked the connections but nothing more.

I forgot to check the two-week old Travan 20GB tape cartridge.  It was
broke!

I stuck in an older (3 year old) cartridge and it works just fine.

Thanks to everyone for your time and input.  I won't forget this one.

Bob