Date:      Thu, 6 May 2010 17:13:16 +0000 (UTC)
From:      John Levine <johnl@iecc.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Using different IP config than what DHCP provides

I run FreeBSD 8.0 on my laptop, works great, when I take it with me I
open it up, wpa_supplicanr finds a network and DHCP configures it.

On a few networks, though, I want to use a different network setup than
the one that DHCP provides.  Is there any reasonable way to arrange
so that when I'm connected to specific network SSIDs, It runs a config
script I write rather than running dhclient, perhaps with a shim in
front of dhclient?

The situation, in case you're wondering, is that the wifi in most of
the local coffee shops is run by the same ISP that hosts my servers,
and when I'm on their network, I want to set up in my IP range rather
than the default one DHCP offers.  It is a pain to have to kill
dhclient and do the ifconfig and route commands manually.

TIA,
John