Date:      Thu, 3 Jun 2010 19:10:32 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Andy Hiscock <andyjhiscock@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   UPGRADE TO RELEASE 8.0-P3/SAMBA HELP REQUIRED

After being advised to upgrade after a freebsd-update I have successfully u=
pgraded from 7.2 to 8.0-p3. OK but have come across a major problem for me.=
=0A=0AOK time for a BIG rant this has been going on for 2 days (very sorry)=
=0A=0AAfter the install of the new kernel Samba isn't working.   I TTL's on=
to the server and tried a testparm but the error messages suggest I have de=
pendancies missing?! - surely this should be taken into account when upgrad=
ing versions - Major schoolboy error on FreeBSD when Linux can do this basi=
c task seamlessly!=0A=0AOK I try sysinstall and find SAMBA isn't marked as =
installed.  I select samba for install but when installing SAMBA get a erro=
r code -1 (WTF is that all about REALLY USEFUL error message mate!)=0A=0ALo=
oked on google and keeps referring to PORTS being installed.  Tried the exa=
mples of how to install SAMBA but get loads of failed command line instruct=
ions - Doesn't say anything about installing "PORTS" during initial install=
ation.  So I guess you can say I don't have "Ports" installed - why isn't t=
his done automatically if its absolutely so critical for the OS to function=
 right?  Error messages that mean nothing to the every day user.   Apparent=
ly I am meant to have something called PORTS installed before I've even set=
up the server.  Im really beginning to lose my rag with this OS.  Is it mea=
nt for gurus only?=0A=0ASo what am I meant to do now.  Now I have XXX GB of=
 data I cant access though SAMBA prior to the install?=0A=0A=0A