Date:      Thu, 3 Dec 1998 19:41:47 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>, bford@uop.cs.uop.edu, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic: ffs_blkfree: bad size

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, David Greenman wrote:

> >> sysctl -w vfs.ffs.doreallocblks=0
> >>
> >> Is the correct response.
> >
> >Why isn't this currently the default if it's as pathological as you
> >say?  Has anyone actually asked David this question?  It would be
> >only courteous given that he's the author of this bug/feature.
>
>    The feature is fairly important. Steve and one or two other people are
> the only ones seeing the problem after Kirk's fix was committed. Steve is
> the only person to report filesystem corruption caused by it. I'm not able
> to reproduce the panic, despite doing more than 20 "make world"s in an
> attempt to reproduce it. If we disable it by default then it will never get
> fixed because there will be no feedback from people who are still having
> problems with it. I WILL disable it prior to the 3.0.1 release if it isn't
> fixed by then, however. Meanwhile I'll look at adding something that will
> ensure that filesystem corruption isn't possible - I think this will amount
> to detecting the problem and panicing earlier.
>
> -DG
>
> David Greenman
> Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project

I posted a message a while back when this bug first started to bite.  I
have a good coredump or two (using debugging kernel and all) if anyone
wants them.  Kirk told me he would look at Greg's dump first and get
back to me if he needed more samples, but I haven't heard from him.  I
can build a more recent world (mine is a couple weeks old now) and turn
on vfs.ffs.doreallocblks again to get a more recent dump.  It occurrs
without having to do much work.  My system has been rock solid ever
since I set vfs.ffs.doreallocblks=0 at boot, so it isn't hardware
instability like I thought it may have been.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
/* FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and compatibles (SPARC and Alpha under development)
   ( http://www.freebsd.org )                                       */