Date:      Sat, 4 May 1996 01:42:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Steve Reid <root@edmweb.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can't run Java applets... Please help

I've downloaded the Netscape 3 (Atlas) beta, and I'm fairly certain that
I have installed everything right. I downloaded the port and typed
"make", then moved the files to the places named in the PLIST file (maybe
I should have tried "make install" instead?)  The browser works fine, but
it won't run java applets:

"Cannot allocate colormap entry for default background"

At the bottom line where it sometimes shows scrolling text, there is the
message

"Applet can't start: error: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: findSystemClass"

Any suggestions?

My system is a 486SX-25 with 8 megs of RAM, running FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE.
Using the SVGA driver for X, with 800x600 resolution, 256 colours. Window
manager is FVWM.

Also...

I have the JDK, and I'm able to compile and run a simple HelloWorld
application. But when I try to run appletviewer on the demo applets, it
dies:

Can't find shared library "Xm" (/usr/java/lib/i386/libawt.so)
Can't find shared library "Xm" (/usr/java/bin/../lib/i386/libawt.so)
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no awt in shared library path
[along with a bunch of other errors cauesd by not finding libawt.so]

ldconfig -r shows that libc_r.so.2.2, libfakesys.so.1.0 and libc.so.3.0
in the /usr/java/lib/i386 directory, but that's all. I don't know why
it would find those files but not libawt.so, which *is* in the same
directory as the other three.

I would prefer to run applets through Netscape, but I would appreciate
any help in getting applets to work either way.

| Steve Reid - SysAdmin & Pres, EDM Web (http://www.edmweb.com/)     |
| Email: steve@edmweb.com   Home Page: http://www.edmweb.com/steve/  |
| PGP (2048/9F317269) Fingerprint: 11C89D1CD67287E68 C09EC52443F8830 |
|               -- Disclaimer: JMHO, YMMV, IANAL. --                 |