Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 23:58:20 +0100 (CET)
From:      Trond Endrestol <trond@ramstind.gtf.ol.no>
To:        SitePlus Web Services <jim@siteplus.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: /var full

On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, SitePlus Web Services wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am new to this.  My web server is beginning to get pretty busy and I
> noticed today that /var was at 90%  I moved and linked log and mail to
> /usr/log and /usr/mail but it is still pretty full.  When I set  up the
> server I allotted / and /var both 100megs.  I suppose that was not
> enough for /var.
>
> Any more suggestions,

May I suggest enabling rotation of the web server log files. In
/etc/newsyslog.conf add the following lines (I assume you are running
Apache):

/var/log/httpd-access.log 644 5 100 * Z /var/run/httpd.pid
/var/log/httpd-error.log 644 5 100 * Z /var/run/httpd.pid

This will give you 5 generations of the previous log files in addition
to the current ones. Each rotation will be performed on the hour by
newsyslog (engaged by cron) when the current log file exceeds 100 kB.

Apache will also be notified with a SIGHUP and the PID is obtained
from /var/run/httpd.pid.

Take a look at the manpage for newsyslog(8) and look in
/etc/newsyslog.conf for more details. You may need to adjust the lines
for /etc/newsyslog.conf if you run a different web server.