Date:      Sat, 12 May 2001 05:11:21 +0200
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
To:        "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/Java in Production Environments

"Koster, K.J." wrote:

> I am interested in your experiences with FreeBSD/Java in production
> environments. Is anyone using FreeBSD/Java for a production webserver to run
> for example JSP or EJB containers?

We're in the servlet stage. Production like, sort of. Mostly demo
kind of things. There's nothing wrong with Java other than that's
Sun focussing on Solaris and Linux. And Windows, of course.

Stability is a tough nut to crack. As you should know, Java the
language, has no flaws pertaining to stability as such. My pet beef
with it is that it is slow. It uses that two world thingum GC and
stuff, whilest I like reference counting. The other thing with Java
is that it is trailing Smalltalk by twelve years or so.

None of which has, again, anything to do with stability as such.

Java is one thing. The environment you run it in another. Nothing
is perfect. So with OSs. But which do you feel most comfortable
with? Which do you feel you can trust?

Roelof