Date:      Mon, 8 May 1995 17:06:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Cavanaugh <john@bang.rain.com>
To:        Kai.Vorma@hut.fi
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: patch for running out of swap space bug in 1.1.5.1?

> John Cavanaugh writes:
>  > I'm running 1.1.5.1 on a 486/66 with a small newsfeed and am running
>  > out of swap space every 5 days or so.  I have heard rumors of there
>  > being a patch out somewhere to fix this problem but I didn't see anything
>  > when I went and looked around on cdrom.com.  Is there a patch out there
>  > somewhere or should I give in and upgrade to 2.x?  Thanks.
>
> FreeBSD 1.1.5.1 leaks memory if you don't have enough RAM. I had a 486
> with 4MB RAM (FreeBSD-1.1.5.1 + all relevant patches from ref and
> mailing-lists) working as UUCP-server and it run out of swap every few
> days (and crashed or had to be rebooted). We added 4MB more RAM about
> 8 weeks ago and it has now been up 55 days :-)

Yeah, I have 8Mb in the box right now.  The problem was that when I
initially setup the machine, I only gave it 8Mb of swap (oops).  But,
with that 8Mb of ram and 8Mb of swap, I still run out swap and need to
reboot every 5 days.
--
John Cavanaugh         "There can be only one."      <john@bang.rain.com>