Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2001 10:39:05 -0700
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        chuisman@telusplanet.net
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Switching Window Managers

Chris Huisman wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to switch Window Managers.  My root account uses afterstep, and
> my usr account uses enlightenment.  How do I allow my usr to switch from enlightenment
> to afterstep, or any other XDesktop for that matter?

There are a thousand ways to do this. The standard way is to configure
your .Xsession, the pass in your wm when you start X, but that is way
too involved for most people.

You may want to try xwmm port in the /usr/ports/x11-wm section. I used
it a long time ago, and it works reasonably well. It's a window manager
chooser. When you start X it presents you with a list of window managers
to start. When you exit, it comes back up, so it's easy to switch
between wms without restarting X.

But what I definitely recommend is reading the X sections in the
Handbook and the FAQ. There's a ton of gold in there just waiting to be
mined.

David