Date:      Tue, 16 May 2000 21:46:28 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>
To:        Aaron Nichols <anichols@netopia.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Failing kernel config

On 16-May-00 Aaron Nichols wrote:
> Hello,
>     Trying to recompile my kernel on 4.0-RELEASE and whenever I enable
> support for:
>
> device          xl              # 3Com 3c90x (``Boomerang'',
> ``Cyclone'')
>
> I get the following error when performing a 'make depend'
>
> ../../pci/if_xl.c:133: miibus_if.h: No such file or directory
> mkdep: compile failed
> *** Error code 1
>
> Disable support for this card and everything works great. Now, I realize
> that if that header file's missing this isn't gonna work, any idea why
> it's missing? Know where I can get a replacement?

From /sys/i386/conf/LINT:

# MII bus support is required for some PCI 10/100 ethernet NICs,
# namely those which use MII-compliant transceivers or implement
# tranceiver control interfaces that operate like an MII. Adding
# "device miibus0" to the kernel config pulls in support for
# the generic miibus API and all of the PHY drivers, including a
# generic one for PHYs that aren't specifically handled by an
# individual driver.
device          miibus

--
Conrad Sabatier