Date:      Thu, 02 Mar 2000 18:30:57 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>
Cc:        Joseph Jacobson <jacobson@pobox.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: things I noticed w/ 4.0

Kenneth Wayne Culver wrote:

> > Weird. Are you sure your BIOS is set to PnP OS = No?
>
> heh, when I set this option to "no" in my bios... -CURRENT won't even
> finish probing the hardware... it just hangs in the boot-probe messages.

Well, that's a problem to be tracked.

FreeBSD _does not_ support PnP OS = Yes. The problems you have with this
setting are _not_ solvable, except by adding such support to FreeBSD
(which is not being done, for various reasons).

If you want to help track the problem with PnP OS = No, provide more
info. What's your hardware? Motherboard? BIOS name/version? Have you
tried with GENERIC? Are you loading any extra modules with loader? At
which point it hangs? Can you provide the verbose boot log? And check
PnP OS = No vs PnP OS = Yes to spot any differences?

Not that it would be me helping you, but these are the things people
will require to help. Also, using send-pr to file a bug report, and
refer the PR# in a message to -current talking about the problem.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

        One IP to bring them all and in the zone bind them.