Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2001 13:05:15 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Calculating swap file size

--jCrbxBqMcLqd4mOl

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 05:58:53PM +0100, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> Since memory isn't very expensive these days, I'm thinking of adding more RAM to
> my FreeBSD machine; it has 256 MB, but I was thinking of going to 1 GB, which is
> the capacity of this machine.  Currently, I have a 800 MB swap partition (or is
> it a slice?--I know it's not a filesystem) defined.  Is this enough for 1 GB of
> RAM?  Is there any kind of strong correlation between RAM size and swap file
> size that I have to be concerned about?  Does FreeBSD resort to swap only when
> RAM is exhausted, or does it have to use the swap file all the time (as in a
> one-to-one VM mapping scheme)?  If the swap file is of less than optimal size,
> what happens?

The main factor when using machines with a lot of RAM is that you need
to have a swap partition at least as large as your RAM size in order
to obtain kernel panic dumps when things do wrong.  If you can't
obtain a panic dump, it's probably going to be impossible for a
developer to track down any weird kernel problems you run into at some
point down the line.

Kris

--jCrbxBqMcLqd4mOl

--jCrbxBqMcLqd4mOl--