Date:      Sun, 26 Jan 1997 16:33:04 -0500
From:      garman@jason.garman.net (Jason Garman)
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CMD640b ide controller bug workarounds?

Terry Lambert writes:
> Fax them the chip specs. and ask again.  The specs imply both channels
> can be active at the same time.

I have the specs sitting right in front of me (it's available in pdf
format from their ftp server).  Not that any tech drone I'm going to get
on the phone is going to understand these specs...and why they imply that
both channels can be active simultaneously.

> Also, correct them: "fix the 'problem'" should be "work around the
> 'problem'", since the problem will still exist.  Point out to them
> that you are objecting to the problem existing, not to the fact that
> it can be worked around in software.

Good point.  Thanks for the tip.

> In general, be vocal and annoying until they do something in response
> to the irritation (even if they encapsulate you in pearl by replacing
> your motherboard, like an oyster would do, your problem will be solved).

I've done this type of thing before (with packard bell of all companies--
and actually got results...), so I guess I can try again. The last time I
called they were `overloaded with holiday orders and tech questions' (yeah
right)  and would hand you off to an automated answering machine where you
could leave your name and number. Needless to say, they never called back.

The company is Zenon Technology, 818-935-1828.  They also have an 800
number but I don't have that sitting in front of me right now...

> There are two check programs.  You need to search for "+IDE +CMD640" on
> AltaVista.

EIDEtest you mean?
I just grabbed it.  Going to try it in a sec.

<ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/os2/sysutil/eidete18.zip>; for anyone else who's
interested.

Enjoy,
--
Jason Garman                             http://www.nesc.k12.ar.us/~garman/