Date:      Wed, 7 Apr 1999 11:08:18 -0500
From:      "Ellis, Joshua" <ellis@kcc.com>
To:        "'freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "'ted@stargate.org'" <ted@stargate.org>, "'Kenneth D. Merry'" <ken@plutotech.com>, "'patrickr@Exabyte.COM'" <patrickr@Exabyte.COM>
Subject:   RE: AIC-7890 - can't install 3.1-RELEASE

>> Running ASUS P2B-S motherboard, with a PII/450.
>> Using the onboard AIC-7890 controller with a
>> Quantum Viking II 4.5WLS Ultra-LVD drive, attempting
>> to install FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE.

>> Unexpected busfree.  LASTPHASE == 0x40
>> SEQADDR == 0x8a
>> (probe0:ahc0:0:0:1):SCB 0x0 - timed out in datain phase,
>> SEQADDR==0x88

KDM> There is a known hang problem with the 7890,
KDM> and it sounds like that's the problem you have.

PR> I may be wrong, but if your using that
PR> drive in LVD mode it may not be supported
PR> at all.... It was my understanding that LVD
PR> is not supported yet in LVD mode..

TDB> We had this same problem with quantum 4.5g
TDB> differential drives and an adaptec 2944uw.
TDB> It turned out the drive was jumpered wrong
TDB> - wish I could remember exactly which jumper
TDB> it was - but it's been quite a while.

Thanks to those who responded.  The first thing I did was flash the P2B BIOS
to rev 1008 (Feb-1999), to see if the problem may have been with the
on-board controller.  Same result.  Pulled the drive, jumpered it to run in
SE mode, and viola, it worked: 3.1-RELEASE installed and the system is very,
very fast.  I'll check -STABLE to see if it improves the situation, and try
it again in LVD mode.  If I can't get max throughput on the drive for now,
that's okay, too.

-joshua
---
Joshua Ellis - Kimberly-Clark Internet/Intranet/Notes Services
email: ellis@kcc.com * phone: 920/721-2779 * fax: 920/721-6180