Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 2002 09:33:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        john.m.mills@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        Julien.Bournelle@int-evry.fr (Julien Bournelle), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD-questions)
Subject:   Re: Checking RAM and swap use

> Julien -
>
> On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Julien Bournelle wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 08:34:50AM -0500, John Mills wrote:
>
> > > How can I check the amount of RAM and swap memory in use (like the Linux
> > > console command: 'free')?
>
> > top ?
>
> <blush>
> Thanks - I had been ignoring that part of the screen when I ran 'top'.
> </blush>
>
> Now - I see I need to increase my swap partition. Do I have to wipe my
> installation and start again?

If you have some room that is unused on your FreeBSD disk slice, you can
just use disklabel to make sure it is identified as swap and then
put it in /etc/fstab to be used as swap.

If you are dual-booted, you could shrink that unworthy MS portion
of the disk with something like Partition Magic and make another
slice of the newly freed-up space and then use fdisk to make it
into a FreeBSD slice (not bootable) and then disklabel to create
a partition in it dedicated to swap.   Then add it to /etc/fstab.

You could add a disk to the machine and use some of it as swap.
Make a FreeBSD slice on it with fdisk and then use disklabel to
make partitions with one of them (normally 'b') designated swap
and then put it in /etc/fstab.

If neither of those can happen, then you will need to repartition
your existing drive.  Although it may be possible to use one of the
available utilities to shrink existing partitions within a slice,
I would suggest makeing backups of each partition using dump(8) to
some media you can preserve.  Then reslice/repartition the drive,
boot from a rescue disk and restore(8) the dumps.   Then in single
user mode, fix up /etc/fstab and it should work.

Of course, if you are a few versions behind 4.7, then this would
be a good time to just do an new install of 4.7 and merge over only
the stuff you need to keep from those backups.

////jerry