Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2000 11:31:50 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum/RAID-5 on IDE disks

On Wednesday, 12 July 2000 at  0:44:43 +0530, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
> On a system with 2 IDE buses and 4 disks (2 per bus), is it a good
> idea to use RAID 5 / Vinum?

No.

> I read of issues regarding performance and fault tolerance on linux
> raid when you put two disks on one bus, and it sounded like that
> should apply to freebsd too, but I can't find a specific mention in
> the vinum documentation.

It's there somewhere.  The problem is that striped organizations
(including RAID-4 and RAID-5) write simultaneously to multiple drives,
but an IDE controller can only handle one request at a time, so the
second request has to wait until the first one is finished,
effectively halving the performance.  Write performance is pretty bad
anyway with RAID-[45], so this is a serious drawback.

> One problem mentioned there that if a disk goes down, it can take
> the bus and therefore the other disk down with it: it doesn't matter
> if the data on the other disk is safe and therefore the system can
> be brought back up without data loss.  But is there a likelihood of
> the other disk being corrupted in such an event?

There's always a possibility, and if the master drive goes down well
enough, it will take the slave drive with it.

> If there are performance issues with slave disks, are they likely to
> be show-stopping?  Any real-world experiences?

It's not so much the slave by itself, it's the combination of master
and slave which causes the problems.

Greg