Date:      Wed, 4 Feb 1998 12:33:48 -800
From:      walton@nordicdms.com (Dave Walton)
To:        Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Linux libs

On  4 Feb 98 at 10:16, Doug White wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Dave Walton wrote:
>
> > I know that FreeBSD can run Linux executables, but can it link Linux
> > libs?  More to the point...  I want to use PHP on FreeBSD to talk to
> > MS-SQL.  Sybase has released a free Linux ct-lib binary that will
> > work with MS-SQL as well as Sybase.  Compiling PHP to support Sybase
> > and MS-SQL with that library would (presumably) require linking with
> > it.  Is this anywhere near the realm of possibility, or should I look
> > elsewhere for a solution?
>
> A Linux cross-compiling environment exists.  You can't link Linux libs in
> a FreeBSD binary but you could build a LInux binary using the linux lib
> and use the emulator to run it.
>
> I think the port name is linux-devel, in category devel.

Hmmm...  So I'd have a Linux-compiled Apache loading a Linux-compiled
mod_php linked with the Linux ct-lib all running under the
Linuxulator.  Anyone have any comments about the stability and
reliability of that setup compared to a native Apache and mod_php
setup?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave Walton
Webmaster, Postmaster                   Nordic Entertainment Worldwide
walton@nordicdms.com                          http://www.nordicdms.com