Date:      Sun, 27 Apr 1997 14:20:39 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        gibbs@plutotech.com (Justin T. Gibbs)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, gibbs@plutotech.com, michaelh@cet.co.jp, joa@kuebart.stuttgart.netsurf.de, sysop@mixcom.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VFAT 32 support in msdosfs

> >> the UNICODE->ANSI conversion will lose.
> >
> >Ugh.  This is horrifically high overhead.  And you wonder why your
> >NT programs seem slower.  I think doing the conversion in any case
> >loses.
>
> Where is the overhead if you are a UNICODE NT app?  NT is internally
> UNICODE, so if you write your NT app as you're supposed to, there is
> no conversion necessary.  Office97 runs much faster on an NT system
> then on a Win95 one and this is one of the reasons.

The overhead is talking to the legacy app, not between the components
of Office 97.

> >or provide your own fooBarW():
> >
> >fooBarW(wchar_t	*pwstr)
> >{
> >	translate string to ANSI
> >	fooBar( pstr);
> >}
>
> This is a broken implementation as it converts to ANSI on an NT system.

You "#ifndef NT" it so it only happens on Win95.

> >The nifty thing about doing it this way is that you can then requse the
> >code for your next project instead of screwing around again.
>
> PowerPoint isolated all of this crap in it's class implementations.

Yes.  That was one of the examples I had in mind.

> >I'm willing.  8-).
>
> But you're not a Fortune 500 company that doesn't want to retrain
> umpteen thousand employees to use a new application.

No, I'm an application vendor who wants to sell a new application, so I
have to encourage the training hit one way or another to make any money.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.