Date:      Fri, 4 Jun 1999 13:01:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        DAVID THERRIEN <dave.ther@videotron.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: x window

For best results:

1)  Turn caps-lock off.
2)  You don't need to double-space email.

On Thu, 3 Jun 1999, DAVID THERRIEN wrote:

>    I HAVE A COPY ON CD OF FREEBSD 4.4 BSD LITE.

4.4BSD Lite is the code base FreeBSD is based on, but is not the FreeBSD
release.  Can you find the actual release number?

>    I HAVE LOADED XFREE86, AND IT WILL NOT RUN.
>
>    IN VERIFYING THE FILES NEEDED TO WORK, I NOTICE THAT THE
>
>    DIRECTORY CALL XINIT IS EMPTY, THERE IS NO FILES CALL XINITRC AND
>
>    XSERVERRC, ALSO THERE IS NO FILES CALLED .XINITRC AND
>
>   .XSERVERRC.

Did you check for them in lowercase?  In general, the .xinitrc file (which
is called when you run 'startx') would be placed in your home directory.

Doug White