Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2001 20:55:07 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        greg <greg@codeconcepts.com>
Cc:        Jack Rusher <jar@integratus.com>, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, Andrew Reilly <areilly@bigpond.net.au>, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>, jonathan@graehl.org, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: configuration files, XML?

In message <200103270440.f2R4eRr88969@katin.codeconcepts.com>, greg
writes:

> > > Rather than stand in the way of progress, having the new config file
> > > format adopted by most of the major vendors would go a long way to
> > > mitigate many fears people have about a new super-config file format.
> >
> > We would obviously want everybody to join us in using the new
> > configuration format/tools.  I do think somebody needs to belly up to
> > the bar and order the first drink, though.
> >
> > > Another way we can mitigate these concerns is to support two formats
> > > until the other popular UNIX systems (Solaris, AIX, Tru64-UNIX, HP/UX,
> >
> > This strikes me as hard for the subsystems that don't have an API in
> > place that governs how they access files.  What are some of your ideas
> > of how you would do this?
>

> I apologize for not having followed this thread closely enough, but
> it seems to reak of AIX/ODM.  If for nothing other than the sake of
> completeness, the merits and shortcomings of IBM's solution should be
> taken into account.  At the very least it would shed some light onto
> the sheer magnitude of such an undertaking.

The AIX Team here does not have much good to say about ODM.  This is
just anecdotal from sharing coffee with them.

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC