Date:      Fri, 19 May 2000 11:46:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      wietse@porcupine.org (Wietse Venema)
To:        tbuswell@acadia.net (Ted Buswell)
Cc:        wietse@porcupine.org, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need FreeBSD 4.0 removable SCSI support

Ted Buswell:
> Even though you don't care anymore, whether or not the Jaz is upsetting
> the card or driver by spewing garbage is easy to determine: with nothing
> plugged into your bus adapter, does the rescan still lockup your
> machine?

Hmm, I didn't try that. I'll see if I can fire up 4.0.

> And while we're talking about it, is the lockup a real
> lockup, or is it simply that the camcontrol process hangs and you have
> it in your startup sequence in such a way that the boot is not able to
> continue?

The machine is dead, as in not responding to keyboard events.  It
still responds to the power switch so I can avoid a hardware reset.

> Also, did you do the obvious things like trying the aic on different
> interrupts [well, at least both of the interrupts that you stated you
> use with other devices successfully]?  In your second(? third?)
> message to the -scsi list, you sent the following (snippets from) dmesg:
>
> >aic1: <Adaptec 6260/6360 SCSI controller> at port 0x340-0x35f irq 3 slot 0 on pccard0
> >aic1: aic6360, dma, disconnection, parity check
> >(probe0:aic1:0:0:0): ccb 0xc0b3c000 - timed out, phase 0xa6, state 1
>
> I'm not sure about yours, but my 1460B does not list irq 3 as one of
> the valid IRQ's that it can generate.  Check "pccardc dumpcis" and
> search for IRQ.  While "timed out" messages could also be cable/device
> related, on my setup they indicated an IRQ conflict.

I've tested with IRQ3 and IRQ 9, with identical results.

> For what it's worth, 5.0-CURRENT + SMP 2xPII + SlimSCSI 1460B (irq 9) + Iomega
> Zip works.

I figure the Jaz disk is causing the trouble.  I'll see if I can
get the 4.0 to work again. The 2.2.8 kernel complains when it
recognizes the Jaz disk so I suppose its SCSI is not quite kosher.

>  > It looks like Linux will have to be my long-term solution. It was
>  > nice knowing you people.
>  >
>  > 	Wietse
>
> Apologies in advance if this was meant to convey that you are no
> longer interested in resolving this problem.

I would love to keep using FreeBSD. It is my primary environment.
I really dislike Linux. Having to switch to Linux for my primary
environment would not be fun at all.

	Wietse